Monday, July 9, 2012

Party Like This...


Years ago while I was still a police officer, I hosted a party with lots of good, good friends. Most all of my friends were cops too. The night was full of laughing, eating and telling stories that would make most people either sick or at least wince. There was great music and plenty of places to just sit around and relax with good company.

As I sat there, I noticed that there was a face I had never seen before. Someone new was at the party and let me tell you, he was no cop. You see, cops know when a cop walks in a room and cops definitely know when a bad guy walks in... so anyways, this dude walks thru my party with some really pretty girl in tow. No one seemed to know him but someone did mention that he was a "friend of a friend" so I didn't say anything...

A little later, there was a loud commotion in my house and all of a sudden this unknown face goes running through the backyard and heads towards my fence. Someone yelled that he had just assaulted his girlfriend inside and to stop him. Let me just tell you, you NEVER want to assault your girl at a cops house, during a party with a bunch of pumped up, beer drinking off duty cops! Definitely, definitely DO NOT SHOUT EXPLETIVES AND FLIP THEM OFF AS YOU RUN.

I'm pretty sure that he believed he was home free as he made the fence headed to the street. Long about the time that my buddy grabbed him he probably started doubting that whole home free concept. Once he met the ground face first, the concept of home free stood about the chance a ball of butter has dancing on the sun. All I know for sure is that at about .02 seconds later when the rest of us landed on him, he probably wished he was just on his own couch smoking a dube and listening to the Beastie Boys CD he stole the day before.

Within moments the somewhat grass covered, very silent and respectful bad guy was being placed in a Dallas Police car and on his way to where all good 'bad guys" go...and well, the party went on and life was good. The girlfriend left the party to go bond him out of jail and now they are probably married, divorced and God knows what else.

So what does this have to do with fitness and you? Everything. It goes like this...you are having a party. Life is good. You are surrounded by good things and people. You have a workout plan, you have eating under control and you have people who expect you to follow your plan everyday. Its all good! What is there to fear? How could anything go wrong?

Then it happens. Just as you lift that Syntha 6 shake for one more round, in walks someone you don't know. Well, you don't "know" him (or her), but just like cops know bad guys, you KNOW this dude ain't supposed to be there.  So who is this stranger? Well, a "friend of a friend" is who.  It's some variation of yourself that you don't like. Its old bad habits, it's eating foods that are not acceptable and not recording them...it's you when you've added 10 ponds. It's you feeling sorry for yourself or justifying eating some garbage that you shouldn't or missing a workout when you COULD have made it...

Look familiar? Let me say this. These creeps will show up to ruin your party, that's a fact. Accept it. The difference is that you can either choose to let them come in, ruin it then run away leaving you broken and defeated OR you can respond asap and WHIP THEIR ASS.

I still have parties and every so often some chump comes walking in to ruin it for me. My standard response is still the same. As soon as I identify the problem, I'm on it...I don't mess around. I don't pull my punches. I grab it, slam it to the ground and send it off so that I can get back to what I want to do...which is P-A-R-T-Y...

How about you? Had a few parties ruined? Let's see how the NEXT punk ends up. On to success baby!!! It's yours to get.

No comments:

Post a Comment