Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Chasing Goals


I used to know this runner who was SO fast. Every day he ran down my road. He was faster than me, smarter than me and everyone liked him, well, except me of course! You see, for years and years I had been trying to catch up to him. However, every single time I tried, I failed. Once I dug a big hole right in the middle of the road waiting on him to come running and fall right in. But, in the heat of the moment, I gave pursuit and forgot all about the hole. He stopped, I didn’t, and for a moment I was suspended right there in thin air. Next thing I knew, I was in the bottom of the hole looking up and he was gone.

Another time I decided to get serious. I called the ACME Supply Company and bought a rocket that would allow me to catch him. All I had to do was wait until he came running, then hop on the rocket and fire it up. Sure enough, he came sprinting along. I hopped onboard and lit the fuse. Within seconds I was right there beside him. Overwhelmed with satisfaction from my pending success, I began to smile. But, then, BANG! My rocket blew up and I tumbled down the road all black from the explosion and smoke! Looking back I realize that everything I ever tried would have worked except for one thing that kept getting in the way: me.

Ya, you know me. My name is Wile E. Coyote. Do you remember me? Or, perhaps you don’t remember me; instead, maybe you ARE ME!  What I mean is this:  you are in constant pursuit of the Roadrunner (weight loss, good health), constantly trying new gizmos and gadgets (work outs and diets) but ALWAYS end up failing!  I see this cartoon played out all too often out there in the real world. We all want success and we find some excellent ways to accomplish it, but, in the end, we fail –usually due to ourselves.

So, how about it? Do you want success? Do you spend more time jumping from this gym to that, this diet to that one and so forth? Is your only true exercise one of futility, always chasing, never catching? Then it’s time to change Mr. or Mrs. Coyote!

First, call up ACME and order a plan for success. We can call it clean eating and exercise. Next, get started! But, be smart as you go this time. Learn from past mistakes and don’t fall into your own traps. Don’t get prideful when you feel success is close and most of all, be consistent this time. In the end, you will have success instead of one more entry on a long resume of failed efforts. Take some time and think about this. The cartoon can end today with your decision to succeed and a little hard work!

It’s almost summertime. Will you be ready? Beep beep.

No comments:

Post a Comment